Official association of Britain’s Brigade of Gurkhas

News and updates from around the world


Army Primary Healthcare Services (APHCS) delivers safe and effective primary healthcare service to the regular Army personnel. Healthcare provision for Service Leavers (SL) transfers from MOD to the NHS upon leaving the Army.

As a veteran you will be entitled to priority access to NHS secondary care for any conditions which may be related to your service, whether you receive a war disablement pension or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payment or not. This is subject to the clinical needs of all patients and the decision of the clinician in charge.

Final Medical and Dental

A full medical examination (also known as release medicals) should be carried out at your Medical Reception Centre approximately 3 months before your last day of service. On completion of the final medical examination you will be issued with an F/Med/113.

Although it is not mandatory you may wish to have a final dental check up before you leave. You should arrange an appointment at a Defence Dental Services (DDS) Dental Centre 6 to 9 months prior to completion of service.

How to register with a Doctor or a Dentist

Once you know where you are going to settle you and your family should register with your local doctor by completing a Form GMS 1, and this is when you should hand in your F/Med/113 to allow them to access your Service Medical Records.

There is no need to register with a dentist to get regular treatment. You can contact a practice offering NHS Dentistry and ask if you can have an appointment. You can find a dentist by visiting the website or calling NHS Direct.

Useful links:

NHS Veterans’ Mental Health Teams

CTP Health & Education Resettlement Guide

Big White Wall

Combat Stress

Stress Management Society

Depression Alliance

Alcohol Concern

Alcoholics Anonymous

Talk to Frank

NHS Healthy Eating

Latest from Instagram